Moroccan Chicken Tagine with Olives and Salted Lemons
Moroccan Chicken Tagine with Olives and Salted Lemons is a delicious and flavorful dish that is perfect for a special dinner or a family gathering. Here’s a recipe for you to try:
Cook: 2 hrs 15 mins
Total: 2 hrs 30 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 lbs chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup green olives, pitted
- 1/2 cup black olives, pitted
- 2 salted lemons, cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups water
- In a large tagine or a heavy-bottomed pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken pieces and brown on all sides. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent.
- Add the spices (ginger, cumin, coriander, paprika, turmeric, and saffron) and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the chicken back to the pot and stir to coat with the spices.
- Add the water and bring to a simmer. Cover the pot and cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Add the olives and salted lemons to the pot and stir gently.
- Cook for an additional 10-15 minutes until the olives and lemons are heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the chicken tagine hot, garnished with chopped parsley and cilantro.
Note:If you can’t find salted lemons, you can make your own by quartering lemons and packing them in salt in a jar for a few weeks.